Cork is the bark of the Cork Oak tree (Quercus suber L). It is a completely natural raw material, with unique properties which give it an unrivalled character. It is light, impermeable to liquids and gases, elastic and compressible, provides thermal and acoustic insulation, it is a fire retardant and highly abrasion-resistant. Furthermore, it is completely biodegradable, renewable and recyclable.
Chemical composition of cork:
- suberin (45%) - main component of the cell walls, responsible for the elasticity of the cork;
- lignin (27%) - insulating compound;
- polysaccharides (12%) - components of the cell walls that help define the texture of the cork;
- tannins (6%) - polyphenolic compounds responsible for the colour;
- seroids (5%) - hydrophobic compounds that guarantee the impermeability of the cork.